Use high key lighting to create a bright background
Shooting in a studio gives the photographer control over the lighting. It may give the control, but it is not an easy task to set up the effects of lighting that you desire to create. It needs a high level of patience and a great amount of time to create the desired atmosphere with light. High key lighting is important if you want to be creative and create a certain atmosphere to style your photo. High key lighting refers to white and light tones that can be used as a background. Here is the link https://skylum.com/blog/how-to-set-up-highkey-studio-lighting that will provide you with detailed information on high key lighting.
Ways to add a white background in high key photography
- Use solid white backgrounds: The photographer can use any solid substance that is white in color like cloth, paper, etc. to act as a background to the subject. This enables the photographer to avoid a clash of color in the background with the subject.
- Use sunlight as background: Instead of using white background the photographer can also use sunlight to create a high key picture. It adds the much-needed freshness and brightness to the scene.
- Use a flash in the background: It is an easy method to create a bright background. Keep the flash behind the model facing the background. The flash will light the background which will appear as white.
Tips for doing high key photography
- Use extra lights: We generally use optimum light in photography; however, to get proper exposure in high key photography we consider how the image can materialize the envisioned image.
- Use fast lens: Fast lens are useful in high key photography as they accentuate the effect of light. It should be used very carefully; otherwise, the picture will get washed out because of the brightness of the light.
- Camera settings: Keep the camera settings appropriate. Use a fast wide aperture setting to shoot at an optimum aperture. Set the shutter speed to expose the scene by two or three stops.